Wayward Kind is a digital marketing agency that works with challenger brands who are solving complex social justice issues. Our role is to bring visibility to important issues around race, class and gender equity, and create sustainable growth opportunities for organizations that are doing good.
We are looking for a Director of Strategy to join our team of marketing experts.
Are you the person we are looking for? Let’s find out!
We Want to Meet You If:
- You are a problem solver. The Director of Strategy owns the vision for all strategic aspects of our work. As Wayward Kind’s lead problem solver, you will set the strategic direction for the agency’s marketing, as well as the marketing strategy for our clients.
- You spot marketing gaps and opportunities. If you’re the right candidate for this role, you will be able to listen to our clients, identify their challenges, come up with solutions to help them grow and scale.
- You love people. In this role, you’ll be guiding a team of copywriters, social media strategists and SEOs to execute on the strategy you design. We want to meet you if you have experience leading a team and enjoy helping people grow in their career.
Why You’ll Like Working With Us:
- You want to show up as yourself, every day. Black, Brown, queer, differently-abled—we believe a variety of voices and lived experiences brings a richness to our work, and we know that our results are better for it.
- You like working with people who are changing the ways the world works. Our clients are pushing the envelope in the areas of race, class and gender equity, sustainable commerce, body positivity and other progressive agendas. If you have been looking for a way to create long-term societal impact through your work, this is the place.
- You’re curious and a life-long learner. You have a genuine interest in consumer behavior and digital psychology. You’ve got experience in growing sales through marketing channels, including social media, email marketing, SEO and content. You are a flexible and resourceful problem solver.
- You are an ethical marketer. We work with social innovators and change makers. Our clients look to us to develop new tools and methods to amplify their work without relying on manipulative marketing practices.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Oversee strategic direction of all internal and client-facing operations for Wayward Kind
- Develop strategies and actionable marketing plans for all clients
- Oversee marketing for Wayward Kind
- Produce comprehensive campaigns that remain within clients’ budgets while producing results
- Lead the Strategy Team providing training, guidance and coaching
- Conduct discovery, market research, and competitive analysis for clients
- Provide regular education for the team on trends and best practices for digital strategy
- Support leadership team in creating outstanding company culture and leading by example
- Lead strategic sessions to identify new clients and prospective sales opportunities
- Provide status and results reports for client marketing campaigns
- Supervise the Strategy Departments daily workflow, assign project workload and monitor deadlines and budgets.
- Create measurable value and ROI for clients.
What You Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, but may be supplemented/replaced with relevant experience
- Agency experience preferred
- Professional proficiency in English
- Committed to anti-oppression work, both personally and professionally
- Interested in learning about race, class and gender equity as it relates to marketing
- High integrity and a personal commitment to liberatory practices
- Able to balance task-oriented work without compromising relationship building and engaging with diverse people as whole humans
What We Believe In:
As a marketing firm, we are messengers. Our clients trust us to tell their stories and amplify their voices. We have the great pleasure, as well as the significant responsibility, of helping organizations communicate what they believe in.
We approach our work through a social justice lens, and we choose clients, team members, collaborators, and partners who share our core values.
A Few More Details:
- Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, are encouraged to apply for this role.
- Location: Fully remote. We’ll see you on Zoom! If you’re in San Diego and want to work out of the office from time to time, you’re welcome to but it’s not required.
- Job Type: Full Time, Exempt
- Job Title: Director of Strategy
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience
- Benefits: We provide comprehensive benefits including health insurance, flexible paid time off, a continuing education stipend, paid maternity/paternity leave, and a family friendly workplace.
- Business Hours: We generally work from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm PST, Monday through Friday, but these times may fluctuate slightly based on your time zone.
How To Apply:
Does this sound like you? Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, we’d love to hear how you align with our core values.